What is an HCM consultant? And why it is a golden opportunity for people in Human Resources (HR).
The word ‘consultant’, especially in IT/Tech companies, is enough of a hint towards a high-growth, lucrative career path. One of our alumni, Muskan Dhingra, graduated from her Master’s in Business Administration (MBA), specialising in HR, in 2020. Today, she is an HCM consultant at a premiere Oracle implementation specialist, working on a large UK-based client.
Lets understand from her what exactly the role is, and how she got here.
Can you tell us a little about how you got here, and how you zeroed in on this career path?
- After pursuing MBA, I had various options to choose from. I chose to work in an IT firm not only for the growth and career opportunities, but it would provide me with a platform where I could learn much more and forge an interesting career path for myself – one that merged my background in HR with the latest technologies and best practices in a world heavily influenced by tech.
- I had no idea of the role in the beginning. I didn’t know what Oracle was, how to work with Enterprise Resource Platform (ERP), or what a Human Capital Management (HCM) consultant should really be doing. That’s where Apps2Fusion came in. I started with basic ERP fundamentals course, and carried on from there. It gave me a solid foundation, and helped me build expertise Oracle HCM. I still go back to the training materials whenever I have a doubt.
- Immediately after that, I got absorbed in a UK-based project and got to work on multiple Oracle modules.
Describe to us a day in the life of an HCM consultant?
A day in my life looks like –
- I have a client-facing role wherein the work starts from analysing the client requirement TO the effective & efficient delivery of the demands and Change Requests
- Within the tenure of 12-14 months, I had hands on experience on 4-5 modules (Implementation and support)
- Daily routine involves- development, deployment, testing, and reporting
- Basically, helping clients realise how the automated HR process is different from traditional HR process and the advantages of having such kind of transformation in terms of work process – easy, smooth, and cost and time effective.
- Who else can be an HCM Consultant?
- Pre-requisite is having the Domain knowledge via MBA or any other course/degree specialising in human resources.
- It is a great opportunity for working professionals who have knowledge working in HR departments and those who wish to switch their profile to consultant.
- What would your advice be to someone interested in making a career in consulting, where can they start?
- Basic Knowledge of ERP solution- Enterprise resource planning
- Strong communication skill
- HCM processes clarity- TA, Onboarding, absence management, Employee records, data management
- Anyone who is planning to build their career as a HCM consultant can enter this industry starting with concept & process clarity with the help of training sessions, workshops, videos.
Hello! I could have sworn I’ve been to this blog before but after checking through some of the post I realized it’s new to me.
Nonetheless, I’m definitely delighted I found it and I’ll be book-marking and checking back frequently!